Skip to the content


Do you need additional insurance when you rent-a-car?

In our professional opinion, yes.   But, please read for what we recommend and why.

Your Erie Insurance policy will extend similar coverage to your rental vehicle in the United States, its territories, and Canada.  If you are traveling anywhere else in the world, you MUST purchase coverage from the rental agency.


Liability, Uninsured Motorist, & Underinsured Motorists Insurance:

Provides protection for bodily injury or property damage you cause to others in a crash, up to your policy limits.  At your option you can purchase additional coverage from the rental car agency.


Physical Damage – Comprehensive & Collision Coverage:

If you have comprehensive and collision insurance on your Erie Insurance policy, your rental car will be covered if it’s damaged, stolen or totaled, as long as the rental is of similar value to your own vehicle.

If you file a claim, your deductible will still apply under your Erie Insurance policy.

If you don’t have comprehensive or collision coverage on your Erie Insurance policy you can purchase a Loss-Damage Waiver (LDW), or sometimes referred to as Collision-Damage Waiver (CDW) from the rental agency.


Please Note:  We recommend that you purchase LDW/CDW:

Regardless of your physical damage coverage on your Erie Insurance Policy.  If you do not purchase this coverage, you will be responsible for the Loss of Use charges from the rental car agency while the vehicle is being repaired.

Additionally, if you do not purchase the coverage, you may have to return to appear in court.

And, the rental agreement may make you personally responsible for the diminished value of the damaged vehicle.

And, the rental agreement may make you personally responsible for additional administration expenses.